Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

So, I rarely go to the movie theater and this year was the first year since 2009 that I had gone to the movie theaters more than once a year and 2011 was a theater-less year for me. Besides Prometheus, this was the only movie I've seen in theaters this year. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a revisionist history film where Abraham Lincoln's past life as a vampire hunter is detailed. The true genre for this film is an action thriller, which in all honesty don't really do it for me. The best thing about this movie besides the actual fighting scenes and special effects is that the actor, Benjamin Walker, whom they got to portray Lincoln, looked very much like the real life Abraham Lincoln, and that's saying something. The acting, from almost every actor, was incredibly overdramatic and was filled with emotional overload which became overbearing at times. The plot, was very unoriginal and I was able to predict literally every major event in the movie and I was even able to predict the gratuitous amount of jump scares. Alright, enough ripping on this movie, onto the few positives. The action/fighting scenes were actually choreographed quite well and were usually very interesting and the special effects were very fluid and well done. This movie is certainly interesting and would be worth watching with a few friends, especially if they are into supernatural films which a lot of action. The parts of the film that were intended to be dramatic almost always fell flat which really bog down the film's quality overall. For something that is produced by Tim Burton I expected better plot development and acting, but I am glad Johnny Depp wasn't in this movie. One thing I will say about this movie is that I don't think the Southern U.S. will appreciate this film seeing as the confederate army was portrayed as vampires. Just something to think about.

Bottom Line: Rent It/Skip It

Score: 6/10

Year: 2012
Director: Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted, Night Watch, Day Watch)
Cast: Benjamin Walker, Rufus Sewell, Dominic Cooper, Anthony Mackie
Rating: R

No comments:

Post a Comment